The Society for the Anthropology of Europe (SAE) and the Council for European Studies (CES) invite eligible graduate students with a focus on European Anthropology to apply for the 2023 Anthropology of Europe Pre-Dissertation Fellowship. The SAE is the section of the American Anthropological Association that promotes the anthropological study of European societies and culture, encouraging connections between scholars working in Europe. Each fellowship includes a $5,000 stipend to fund two months’ research in Europe, and travel support as well as a registration fee waiver for attending and presenting at the International Conference of Europeanists in 2024.*
The Anthropology of Europe Pre-Dissertation Fellowship is intended to fund fellows’ first research project in Europe. Applicants must:
- be enrolled in a doctoral program at a university that is a member of the Council for European Studies Academic Consortium;
- not have completed the majority of doctoral coursework;
- not have begun substantial dissertation research in Europe.
Barring exceptional circumstances, students who have already received comparable support for pre-dissertation research will not be considered eligible.
Interested applicants are asked to
- submit the online application form which includes a 2,500-word narrative on the nature and purpose of your research project.
- request three (3) faculty recommenders submit a copy of their recommendations via our online submission link.
- If proof of language competency is required in order to undertake your proposed research, you will also have to see to it that a faculty member familiar with your language skills completes the Language Competency form, also available on our website.
All forms must be submitted electronically by 11:30 pm EST, March 19, 2023.