In memory of Carolina de Miguel Moyer, this award was established in 2021 to recognize emerging scholars in European Studies under age forty, or within ten years of defending their dissertation. The Carolina de Miguel Moyer Young Scholar Award is presented annually to a scholar who is judged to have made (through a body of publications) the most significant contribution to the interdisciplinary study of Europe.
- The recipient must be a current member of the Council for European Studies.
- Nominees must be under age forty, or have defended their dissertation in 2013 or later.
- The age or time since PhD requirement can be expanded when there have been career interruptions with family leave to take care of dependent(s). In the case of parental leave, the requirement can be expanded up to one year per child. Similarly, in the case of other family leaves, the requirement can be expanded up to one year per dependent.
- A $400.00 (USD) cash prize and a certificate will be awarded to the winner.
- Only candidates satisfying the merit and age requirements will be considered.
- The winner will be notified by June 15, 2023.
- The award will be presented during the 2023 CES conference in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Apply or Nominate for the Award
Each nomination must include a cover letter highlighting specific scientific merits (not merely generic praise) and an updated curriculum vitae of the nominee, including date of birth and date of the doctoral degree. Information on career interruptions due to birth or care of a dependent must be provided in cases where the candidate is older than 40 years old at the time of the call or has defended their dissertation before 2013.
Self-nominations are welcome. However, members of the selection committee may not nominate potential recipients. Previous nominees are eligible for the award so long as they meet the merit and age requirements.
Nomination period is now closed.
The award committee