Interdisciplinary Art Grant
Spotlight on Bulgaria
The Interdisciplinary Art Grant, solely funded by the American Foundation for Bulgaria, is designed by the Council for European Studies, the Bulgarian Concert Evenings in New York, and the Elizabeth Kostova Foundation. This collaborative event is aligned with CES’ mission and programs. The grant is intended to support collaborative, interdisciplinary work produced by emerging and established artists in Bulgaria, as well as Bulgarians in other countries. New work and work in progress is eligible.
One prize in the amount of $3000 will be awarded in May 2020. A multi-disciplinary selection committee, assembled from the founding organizations mentioned above, will choose the winners in October 2019. The winning entry will receive a check for $3000 for creating and producing the work, along with public recognition in a special edition of EuropeNow and announcement in the European Studies Newsletter, as well as various social media sites. In addition, each of the awardees will receive one year of complimentary individual membership with the Council for European Studies (CES).
Each application must meet the following criteria:
- represent a collaboration of at least two artists one of whom is a Bulgarian residing in the country or abroad
- present an interdisciplinary project that combines at least two of three categories: music, literature, and visual art.
- be written in English;
- seek the grant to create a new work or complete work in progress
- project must be completed by March of 2020.
- Applications may be submitted by the artists and must be accompanied by an application form.
- Music composition should be for chamber ensemble not to exceed 5 performers, and must be submitted in MP3 format with a maximum length of 12 minutes.
- Visual art must be submitted as high-res images with a maximum submission number of 5 or as a streaming link to a film on the application.
- Samples or complete works of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry should not exceed 6000 words and must be submitted as a digital copy.
- Entries should be directly attached to the Application form.
- Paper and email submissions will not be accepted.
Applications will open on February 1, 2019 and will be accepted until September 24, 2019 (extended deadline).
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
 The grant will be paid out in two stages: $1500 will be paid upon announcement of the winning entry. The remaining $1500 will be paid out upon successful completion of the project.